Here are examples of two types of ruby interview questions. The first set are phone screen questions which gauge your depth in the ruby language. Second are some more difficult white board questions where the language and syntax doesn’t matter (as much), just your grasp of computer science.
Phone Screen Questions
- What are ruby code blocks? What is the difference between functional and object oriented programming?
- What is a gem?
- What is garbage collection?
- A web page on your rails web site slow. How would you track down the bug, and how would you solve it?
- What is a pull request?
- What does the send method do in Ruby?
- What is the difference between a symbol and a string in ruby?
- Reverse a linked list
- Write a function to output a list of tables in order of their dependencies in a relational database. (Describe a process for synchronizing dependent data across two databases)
- Write a function to shuffle a deck of cards
- Sort a list of points in order by their distance from the origin