There are two types, “phone screen” questions which gauge someone’s depth in a particular language. Then, white board questions where the language and syntax doesn’t matter (as much), just the candidate’s grasp of computer science.
Phone screen questions
- What are ruby code blocks? (or what is the difference between functional and object oriented programming)
- What is a gem?
- What is garbage collection?
- Your web page is slow. How would you track down the bug, and how would you solve it?
- What is a pull request?
- Reverse a linked list
- Write a function to output a list of tables in order of their dependencies in a relational database. (Describe a process for synchronizing dependent data across two databases)
- Write a function to shuffle a deck of cards
- Sort a list of points in order by their distance from the origin